July 29, 2018|
My Intermittent Fast
Excuse the douchey before and after pics. I just need to grab peoples attention.
If you have no idea what intermittent fasting is I suggest you do some research on your own before you start judging. I’m not a fasting expert or anything, this is just a plan that works the best for me.
If you’re short on time and you just wanna skim over this post and get the “jist” of what I do, check out THE SHORT EXPLANATION. If you want an in depth understanding of this madness of eating one meal a day go ahead and skip the short explanation and read the LONG EXPLANATION.
But before you start jumping around this post understand this, Intermittent Fasting isn’t a diet at all. It’s pretty much an eating schedule.
The Short Explanation
Eating in a predetermined window of time.
That’s literally all there is to it. This window may vary from person to person. I personally give myself a 3 hour eating window. I will have one decently sized meal at 7 P.M. That gives me enough time to eat my meal and let it settle. If I get hungry again i’ll have a snack. All of this will take place in a span of 3 hours. But how do I fight the urge to eat before 7 P.M you ask? Do I still drink protein shakes? Do I take anything to fight the cravings? What do I usually eat for my meal? Should probably check out the long explanation, you might find out.
The Long Explanation
Here i’ll be going over a routine day for me. This is something I’ve always been curious about because I follow a few “Insta Famous” people who do intermittent fasting. And they will do these live streams everyday of them eating their meal and people will tune in just to watch them eat and answer questions. Which is psychotic now that I think about it. But I always wondered what they do throughout the day to take their mind off of eating.
This is what I do.
- Start my day off with a cup of coffee (Black)– As soon as I wake up I get a cup of coffee and head to work. I work for a moving company so my day starts at 7 A.M on most mornings. I show up to work with my coffee and gallon water jug everyday. I’ve always drank my coffee black because it has little to no calories in it. It also doesn’t break your fast, which is huge in the intermittent fasting game. I drink from my gallon water jug throughout the day because it keeps the hunger at bay. Like the hunger is a wild fire and drinking water throughout the day calms it down.
- In the afternoon I have a Monster Hydro Zero Sugar or Zero calorie monster energy– I bounce back and forth from Monster Hydro and Zero Calorie Monster from day to day. These drinks both have zero calories so it doesn’t break your fast. And they also give you energy to finish out the afternoon. I would drink one of these as soon as I get off from work around 3 to give me energy for the gym. If I decide to go that day.
- Workout part 1 weights- I workout 4-5 times a week and some days i’ll either go to the gym and lift or i’ll just go for a run. Back when I was really trying to “cut” I would start my workout with 30 mins of cardio. 10 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on stair master, and finish with 10 more mins on the treadmill. Now I just do 10 mins on treadmill or however long it takes me to complete a mile. I try to make my workouts last at least 1.5 hours. . Then I will do my actual workout which will be covered in a different blog post.
- Workout part 2 cardio- This summer for my cardio days I’ve been going to the stadium and running bleachers or doing sprints. These workouts will be a set destination for me if that makes sense. For example when I run the bleachers i’ll do 5 down and backs. Which is running all the bleachers down and back 5 times. Then do a 1 lap cool down on the track and leave.
- Pre-meal Apple Cider Vinegar and BCAA- I would do this at 6:50 P.M everyday. I started drinking apple cider vinegar like a month after I started my weight loss journey. (That sounds corny af I know) I did a bunch of research on apple cider vinegar and read a bunch of reviews and I just thought It wouldn’t hurt to try out. So I tried it out for a month and I hit my goal weight with ease while I was taking it. Like I hit my goal with a week to spare. The next month I didn’t take it and I barely hit my goal weight a couple days before the end of the month. Is there any direct correlation? Who knows? But I believe it helps so I’m going to keep taking it. I pretty much use BCAA as a chaser for the apple cider vinegar. I bought it from Walmart at the beginning of summer because I decided to be a sheep for a day and try it out. Probably won’t buy it again after I run out.
- Meal (7 P.M)- My meal is usually pretty averaged compared to the famous people on instagram who do Intermittent Fasting. I always start every meal with a mixed greens salad. Which is just lettuce and spinach with some ranch. This helps fill me up faster so I don’t pig out on the meal. I try to count my calories with my meal so I don’t go over my recommended caloric intake which is 2,670 calories. Instead of explaining what I eat i’ll just post a few pictures.
Some of you might recognize the work from the best burrito/rice bowl place in South Dakota known as Barbacoas. This is a rice bowl with brown rice, steak, chicken, black beans, queso, corn salsa, bacon, lettuce, spinach, sour cream, ranch, and bbq sauce. Sexy right? I didn’t get the exact calorie on this meal but I inputted to the best of my ability on MyFitnessPal and it came out to 1,753. Mind you I didn’t hop over the counter and measure it out myself. This is just an estimate. Also didn’t take into account my protein smoothie and how much green tea I drank.
This is what I made for my Wednesday meal. I barely ate the chicken Alfredo but I still logged it into MyFitnessPal. Four chicken sandwiches with ham and cheese. Protein Smoothie on the left. And ACV with BCAAs on the right. For a snack I will usually have either protein chips, rice cake chips, or protein bars. The meal itself came out to be 2,780 calories which doesn’t include the protein shake.
- Protein Smoothie- I make my protein smoothies with half a cup of almond+coconut milk, half cup of coffee, toss in a little bit of frozen raspberries and blackberries, 1 scoop of whey isolate protein, and one 170g container of yogurt.
- Snack- I work nights at a bar so I will usually grab a protein bar on my way to work. I’d try to eat this around 9 P.M so it’ll still be in my eating window.
A few helpful tips to send you on your way.
- Don’t stress it- If you do decide to start Intermittent Fasting my biggest advice for you is to not stress it. When I first tried it out I started wit eating 2 meals a day with an 6 hour feeding window. And I still was seeing results.
- Treat Yo Self!– I was lucky enough to start Intermittent Fasting with my friends. So we would workout and make meals together and we held each other accountable which was great. We would treat ourselves to a breakfast buffet at the end of each month if we hit our weight goal. And we didn’t miss a month. Even now when i’m doing my meals and workouts by myself I would treat myself to a nice meal. I would go out to eat without worrying about counting calories. A couple weeks ago on back to back days I made Checkers Fries. This would fall under the don’t stress it point too.
- Track your Goals- This will keep you honest with your meals. Me and my buddies set a goal of losing 10 lbs per month. This kept us motivated throughout our workouts and meals. I tracked my weight loss by weighing myself every Sunday morning and writing it down on a piece of paper and putting it on the fridge.
- Stay Motivated- Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results. Believe me I’ve had a love hate relationship with the scale for months. Mostly hate. If you stay consistent and keep yourself motivated you will see results. Even when it doesn’t show up on the scale, other people will start taking notice. That’s honestly what kept me motivated throughout the whole thing. I’ve had some terrible mornings on the scale (3/11/2018) where I would either go up in weight or there would be no change and it’ll just put me in a funk. Then out of nowhere somebody will say, “Hey looks like you’ve been losing weight.” or something like that. And boom my life will have purpose again.
Thanks for reading and sorry about it being a long one. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask me. Feedback is always appreciated!